What Happens when you Finish Uni

17:46:00


Doing a degree isn't a unique experience, so many people have one now, but it has been one of the best, worst and most stressful times of my life so far. I decided late to come to university, I had been working full time for over a year, and decided that I wasn't finished with education yet. I hadn't gone to uni earlier because I had no idea what I wanted to do 'when I was older', and there didn't seem like a lot of point. But one day I suddenly decided that I wanted to be an event manager, and started looking into events management degrees. I applied for a few, but Bournemouth was my number one choice, as it was only an hour and a half away from home, and I already knew that I loved the place from childhood visits. 

Four years later, I've finished my degree, have a year of events management experience with a charity, have met a ton of amazing people, gained some great experiences, and now just have a long wait until I get my results and know if Ive passed or not. It's weird, but it's really hard to be nervous at the moment with the feeling of being done. Everyone who's been in this position probably gets it, but for those of you who hasn't, this is what it feels like... 

First.... You feel nothing
My last handin was a 5 minute presentation. I prepared for the presentation, making moodboards, getting props ready and rehearsing my speech, headed into uni and got it over and done with. I left the room and really didn't know what to do with myself, so I headed to where my friends were studying and just mooched around on the internet for the rest of the afternoon. 

Then.... You feel a bit empty
I went to the beach in the evening of my final uni-related thing for a beach BBQ (see post here). Most people at the BBQ were talking about their upcoming handins and the revision they were doing for exams, and I felt a bit left out, if I'm honest. Not jealous in any way, but a little bit left out. The next day was my first day of having no work to do, and I got nothing done. In fact I ended up going into uni anyway because all my housemates were there, and so were my friends. Being at home by myself was a bit depressing. 

The relaxation kicks in
The next day was super sunny. I'd stayed at Rob's house the night before, so walked home in the morning when he'd gone into uni. I had a list of jobs that I wanted to get done, including mowing the back garden, tidying my room and making a tutu for a fancy dress costume. I got my jobs done early, had a shower so I felt all new and clean, and then spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing in the garden. It was so relaxing and guilt-free knowing that I was okay to be sitting and doing nothing, without thinking of all the work I should be doing. 

And finally.... You feel excited
It took a few days, but yesterday was the first day that it actually kicked in that I'd finished uni. I was at Bournemouth 7s and it suddenly hit me that I was now able to look for a job organising events like it. I got all excited in myself thinking about it, and thinking about where I could go next. 

My advice for anyone finishing uni is to have something to look forward to a couple of days after your last hand in. I would be bored out of my mind if I hadn't had a plan for this weekend, and now I really appreciate the next couple of days off that I have lined up. 

Here's to the next few days of relaxation,
xx

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I'm on my 2nd to last week of my first year at university! I honestly can't believe how quick this year has flown - it makes me realise how quick uni really does go by. I really enjoyed reading this post and I hope you have some wonderful relaxful couple of days!

    Tab 🌻
    http://whattabithaloves.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

SUBSCRIBE

Instagram

Subscribe