Birthday Cupcakes

20:17:00

It's so sunny today, isn't it lovely! I had a lovely sit out in our student garden (which is completely concrete, no grass, and cigarette butts everywhere), with my legs up on the seat in a mad attempt to get a bit of a tan - it might take longer than an hour though. 


I had a free afternoon, and with my birthday on Monday I thought it was time to get baking! These cupcakes are so simple, but they're also really easy to pazzazz up if you want to. I stuck with vanilla, but if you wanted you could add cocoa powder, lemon zest, or orange flavouring. 


You will need;
125g/4oz unsalted butter, softened
125g/4oz caster sugar
125g/4oz self-raising flour
2 medium eggs
2 tablespoons milk
Icing Sugar
Strawberry sauce
Sprinkles

Preheat the oven to 190 oC/Gas Mark 5. Beat up the butter in a bowl a little until it's softened. Add in the sugar, and beat together. Next, add the eggs and stir up until it's one mixture. Using a sieve, add in the flour bit by bit, and mix in until it's all combined. 


Pop the mixture evenly into  cupcake cases. A handy tip I found online today was to use an ice-cream scoop. That way you can make sure all the cases have the same amount in, and it'll be super easy!


Put the tray in the oven, and bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Take the cakes out of the oven, and leave to cool for a few minutes. When they've cooled, transfer them on to a wire rack. 


When the cakes are completely cooled, it's time to decorate! Make some butter icing - I won't lie, being in a student house I didn't actually have any scales, so I have no idea how much icing I made. I used a piping bag to put a squidge of icing on each cake. 


Next I squeezed a messy few lines of strawberry sauce over the top of each cake, and then added a pinch of sprinkles on top.


And voila! Some super yummy, super easy cupcakes! 


 This recipe made 12 sweet little cupcakes, and had my housemate's approval. I hope you enjoy making them as much as me!

Happy Saturday,
xx

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

SUBSCRIBE

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe