Aches and Pains Summer Smoothie

18:08:00

It really feels like Summer has hit Bournemouth now... I don't want to jinx it, but the sun is shining, I've had to open my window because it's too hot in my room, and the sunnies are well and truly on! I've even been able to start wearing shorts to training, rather than thermals, so that's always nice. And what says summer more than a refreshing, watermelon smoothie? I know, I'm stumped too. 


I have a confession to make... I didn't measure the ingredients today when I was making this smoothie, so I can't tell you exactly how much to put in. But I'll give you an estimate, and I did take a photo of the fruit in the blender before I smooshed it all up, so that's a bit of an indicator. 

You will need;
Watermelon - I used Sainsburys pre-chopped up watermelon, it's a bit expensive, but so much easier than buying and chopping up a whole watermelon!
Blueberries
Lime
Cayenne Pepper
Basil
 
 
First, chop up your watermelon. If you're using the pre-chopped up watermelon like me, I used six slices - not sure how much that would be, but it was enough to fill up about 3/4 of the Breville blender. 
 

Add a couple of handfuls of the blueberries, so that it fills up the last 1/4 of the blender. Cut the lime in half and squeeze one half on top of the fruit. 


Sprinkle one pinch of the cayenne pepper on the top (it's super spicy, so don't go OTT if you're not a spice person, like me), and then a couple of pinches of the basil. 


Mmmm, berries! Pop it on the blender, and give it a mix up until it's all smooth and juicy. If you think it's a bit lumpy still, give it a stir with a spoon halfway through blending, and then blend again. 


And there you go, a yummy summery smoothie. You'll notice as well that I called it the 'Aches and Pains' smoothie.  Basically, (here comes the Google in me) watermelon is stuffed full of Vitamin C, which reduce inflammation, and helps heal achy joints. Blueberries are also amazing, they're super food and help heal loads of bits and bobs - technical term, you know. 

I hope you enjoy this smoothie as much as I did. I have another summery themed post coming at the weekend, I'm in full-on Summer mode at the moment. And no training for me tomorrow, so I've got a lie-in Saturday and I'm so excited!

TGIF!
xx

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Those ingredients sound amazing together! I would have never thought of adding cayenne pepper to any of my smoothies! I love spicy food but I don't think I have actually ever tried spicy desserts kind of food. Do you use cayenne pepper in all of your smoothies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teddy, no, it was inspired from something I saw on Pinterest, and it gives a really good kick to it every now and then. This is the only smoothie I've tried it in so far, but I think I'm going to experiment with it more and see what happens :) I really recommend trying it!

      Delete

Popular Posts

SUBSCRIBE

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe